March 28, 2024, 11:03:58 pm

Last game you played?

Started by Doc, July 29, 2006, 11:54:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedi Master Baiter

November 16, 2021, 08:05:13 pm #4170 Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:34:50 pm by Jedi Master Baiter
I've been sick, so I finally had time to plug in my NES and get back to playing something on my backlog:

Archon - Kinda fun game, but not really; very bare bones. The CPU isn't too much of a challenge; I feel like playing as the Dark Side is slightly easier.

Airball - Okay, I bought this game long ago in support of its release and I finally get to play it! It looks like it's trying to be like Marble Madness / Snake Rattle Roll, but it's biggest problem is not having a shadow for your ball when in the air, so it's hard to tell where you're at at times. Other than that, frustrating controls (because it's isometric), precision movements will get you killed constantly, and not knowing that was a pumpkin behind a wall cost me lots of time, urgh! And this is easy mode. I don't know what I would do without the hover button.

Anyway, I was pretty close to finishing the game without a map (that damn pumpkin!) before I went on GameFAQs.

Edit: Played some S.C.A.T. today, heheh, scat. :P The game was much tougher than I thought it'd be. That second stage boss just wouldn't die. >:( I also didn't realize this game fetched over $200 on eBay. :o Does someone want to buy my copy when I'm done? Unfortunately, the label is somewhat damaged/pealing. :( But it's still completely intact (no rips).

Preki

A month ago I've played and finished Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity. Overall a mediocre adventure game, it's quite short and I had to use a guide to finish it, but the humor is spot-on with the show, which is one of the main reasons why I've played through it in the first place.

Quote from: Jedi Master Baiter on November 16, 2021, 08:05:13 pmPlayed some S.C.A.T. today, heheh, scat. :P
You said... scat. Uhh-uhuhuh, huhuhuh, huhuhuh. Yeah, why couldn't they just name this game Final Mission worldwide is beyond me. I've managed to beat this one in one credit after several continue-ridden attempts that ended at the penultimate or final stage. Oh boy, and the Japanese original is even more harder than that due to several gameplay changes.

P

I decided to do a little Metroid marathon (main series only) to prepare for Metroid Dread. I finished the FDS game and managed to pick up all missile and energy tanks. I've never done that before, so that felt great!

Now I'm continuing with the Game Boy game. It's mostly linear enough to play without drawing a map, so that is nice. I'm looking forward to Super Metroid as I think it's probably the best game in the series so far.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on November 19, 2021, 11:46:25 amI decided to do a little Metroid marathon (main series only) to prepare for Metroid Dread. I finished the FDS game and managed to pick up all missile and energy tanks. I've never done that before, so that felt great!
Nice. Though Metroid was the first NES game I pretty much had, I never really beat it from beginning to end. But I'd like to try with the FDS version.

Metroid II was the only Metroid game I 100%ed. (I was bored and in Iraq.)

Super Metroid is my favorite and is just pure awesome.

I've yet to play Fusion.

Today I played Star Force. What a tedious game! I'm not even going to attempt cheating at it. I read there are 24 stages, and it's repetitive.

P

Some people expected Fusion to be more like Super Metroid and was disappointed. I loved it when it was new, especially as there are more story than earlier games but I agree that Super Metroid is still the best game in the series. I forgot the story in Fusion though which is one reason I'm doing this marathon before I play Dread. "Marathon" is maybe not the right term as I play very occasionally, but I'm playing them in order.

Jedi Master Baiter

I read that Fusion was the last chronological game in the story up to date. Is Dread after that? I haven't played anything after Prime, but I'll probably check out playthroughs of Echoes, Corruption, etc.

P

Yes Metroid Fusion is also officially called Metroid 4 in the intro just like Super Metroid is called Metroid 3 in its intro. Metroid Dread follows the same pattern and calls itself Metroid 5, indicating that it's the next installment in the main series. The chronological order is simply 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Prime and Other M are basically gaiden chapters and takes place between 2 and 3 for Prime and between 3 and 4 for Other M. I haven't played Prime 2, Prime 3 or Prime Hunters but I think you can basically skip them. Other M has good story and prequels Fusion, but gameplay is worse than the 2D games, though not worse than Prime. Metroid doesn't work very well in 3D IMHO.

One thing I thought was fun with Metroid Fusion was that you are forced to run away from a stronger enemy that is sneaking around the space station (fits pretty well with how Metroid is inspired by Alien). Dread supposedly builds on to that theme.

Jedi Master Baiter

Quote from: P on November 24, 2021, 12:43:43 pmOne thing I thought was fun with Metroid Fusion was that you are forced to run away from a stronger enemy that is sneaking around the space station (fits pretty well with how Metroid is inspired by Alien). Dread supposedly builds on to that theme.
Like Nemesis? I look forward to that.

I just completed S.C.A.T. (but I used the stage select, because screw playing it all over again). Final stage was brutal, but final boss was pretty easy.

P

Yeah I guess it's similar to Nemesis. It's not all the time (you have time to explore like normal) and I don't want to spoil anything, but in a few parts of the game you face an opponent that you just have no chance to beat due to circumstances.

Jedi Master Baiter

Finished Super Cars (what a generic name!) and now playing Where in the Hell Is Carmen Sandiego? ???

Jedi Master Baiter

January 05, 2022, 10:42:58 pm #4180 Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:32:24 pm by Jedi Master Baiter
Currently playing Boulder Dash for NES. I really want to like this game, but the sheer frustration I get from accidentally moving in the wrong direction coupled with very limited time in the later levels is killing it for me. :bomb:

Edit: Completed the first loop! No way in hell I'm attempting the second one.

P

I've always loved Boulder Dash and other Dig-Dug clones like Mr Do. I've never played the NES version though.

Jedi Master Baiter

P

Heh I don't know, I played it as a kid and haven't played any variant of Boulder Dash in many years. I think about every Boulder Dash clone is unique though, and I played a bunch of them, I'm not even sure which is the original one. According to Wikipedia it seems to be developed for the Atari 8-bit family first, and apparently "the first home computer title to be converted to an arcade console".

Saab93

Mario Bros. [Arcade Style] on my Famicom