Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightstar699

Quote from: tonev on March 10, 2013, 02:41:10 pm
I was just playing donkey kong jr and realized that the game is 31 years old and still fun to play.

Probably my favorite of the three Famicom launch titles. Speaking of age, in just a few weeks Kirby's Adventure is going to turn 20 years old. Can't wait to replay it on its anniversary.

Last Famicom games I played were Super Contra, and Super Contra 8, on my beloved Contra themed 4-in-1. Beat them both without using a continue, oh yeah! Interesting to note is that the laser gun is extremely strong in Super Contra 7/8, as opposed to in real Contra where it's actually one of the weaker guns in the game.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Zero107

I just finished playing Gun Nac, and I still can't get past stage 6 :/
I'll probably die surrounded by plastic crap.

Nightstar699

The key to Gun Nac is this: do NOT die. I know this can apply to pretty much every game, but in a game like Gun Nac, where you lose all your powerups when you die (leaving you completely helpless and pretty much screwed, especially in the later stages), perfect play is absolutely required for completion of the game, unless you memorize every single enemy and their firepower patterns. Gun Nac is pretty easy if you're able to power up your weapons and stay alive, but once you make a mistake, it gets brutal.

I've been playing Gimmick again... I think this game is starting to grow on me.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

Zero107

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Gradius comes to mind. I still can't get used to the floaty physics of Gimmick.
Speaking of, I played Gradius again for like the 4th time in my life yesterday, and I still can't make it past stage 3...this is the highest score I've gotten yet.

Nightstar699

This seems to be the number one difficulty factor in many shoot 'em up games... while some others, such as the Touhou Project series on PC, are a bit more lenient when it comes to keeping your powerups (you can collect a few of them when you die), but there are much more bullets to worry about evading. Gradius is a very difficult game, I beat it a couple years ago, though. Stage 3 is the level with the Moai heads, I believe? I remember just trying to take out those heads as quickly as possible with a fully powered laser, but the double shot might be more useful for the mini-boss, which, if I remember correctly, is a giant swarm of ships attacking you. And I remember using the warp in this stage, too.... it's been too long. I should replay that sometime.

Rosser

As you get older playing shoot 'ems you have to start relying more on memorization

We can rely on those fast twitch muscles like we had when we were younger  :'(   

Zero107

Haha totally. I do have to put that time in, so many different shooters, so many patterns to memorize...
I admit, that my play style is probably 80% twitch reflexes, 20% enemy pattern memorization. thatsprobablywhyisuck.jpg

Nightstar699

March 12, 2013, 04:56:04 am #2002 Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:44:03 pm by Nightstar699
Couldn't get to sleep as usual, so I decided to play Famicom instead.... as usual.

Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2 - Beat without losing a life, didn't take any damage until the last level.
Daiku No Gen San - Beat on regular mode, as well as the much harder second quest that's playable after initial completion of the game.
Kero Kero Keroppi 2 - Beat without losing a life... until the final "boss". Damn randomized card-matching
Kage - This game came awfully close to defeating me, luckily I was able to beat the final boss on my last continue, and I only had one block of health left... and I almost hesitated, too. Boy would I have been pissed.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I beat Gekitotsu Yonku Battle, too.

Nightstar699

March 15, 2013, 08:49:52 pm #2003 Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:06:15 pm by Nightstar699
Just beat Rockman, didn't have to use a continue, only died once. I'm going to play all the Rockman games on Famicom/NES back to back. Now onto the second, which happens to be my least favorite one, but I still love it.

Edit: Beat Mega Man 2. Much harder game than the original, hardest in the series, I'd say... unless of course you're playing it on baby mode.

P

I would say Mega Man 2 is the easiest one. Metal Blade works against most bosses. Even though I played Megaman 3 more I think it's much harder, mostly because of the Doc Robots.

Last Famicom game I played: Zelda II: Link no Bouken for FDS
I always wondered if you take more damage in this than in the NES version. It feels like you die more easily anyway.

Nightstar699

March 16, 2013, 10:36:02 am #2005 Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:17:22 am by Nightstar699
Quote from: P on March 16, 2013, 06:01:01 am
I would say Mega Man 2 is the easiest one. Metal Blade works against most bosses. Even though I played Megaman 3 more I think it's much harder, mostly because of the Doc Robots.

The robot masters in Mega Man 2 are very easy, as are all their stages, but the BooBeam Trap in Wily's Castle is one of the cruelest bosses ever conceived, mainly just because if you miss a single shot against it, you basically have to just keep killing yourself until you get a game over. It can kill you pretty quick too, and its firepower is pretty tough to dodge. Don't get me wrong, Mega Man 2 is an easy game, but I have more trouble beating it than any other one in the series. (Last night I beat 1, 3 and 4 without a single continue, on Mega Man 2 I had to use 3 continues)

I actually find Mega Man 3 to be the easiest in the series, as it's the one I've played the most. Mega Man 2 is my least favorite in the series, so therefore it's probably the one I've played the least, and don't know as well as the others. I think that's the primary factor in deciding one's experience with a specific Mega Man title, how well they know the game.

Edit: And I played MM2 on Difficult mode, as it was the standard (and only) difficulty in the Japanese version.

And on the PAL boxart for MM2, I can not for the life of me figure out what this is supposed to represent in-game:

Toneman

Instagram: Kokujin804

P

Quote from: Nightstar699 on March 16, 2013, 10:36:02 am
BooBeam Trap in Wily's Castle is one of the cruelest bosses ever conceived, mainly just because if you miss a single shot against it, you basically have to just keep killing yourself until you get a game over. It can kill you pretty quick too, and its firepower is pretty tough to dodge.

Yeah I definitely agree that that's one of the hardest bosses in any Megaman game.

I actually find Mega Man 3 to be the easiest in the series, as it's the one I've played the most. Mega Man 2 is my least favorite in the series, so therefore it's probably the one I've played the least, and don't know as well as the others. I think that's the primary factor in deciding one's experience with a specific Mega Man title, how well they know the game.

Yup I also played Megaman 3 the most but I still think Megaman 2 is easier because I beat it with a lot less playthroughs. I know every stage in Megaman 3 much better though.

Edit: And I played MM2 on Difficult mode, as it was the standard (and only) difficulty in the Japanese version.

I do too. Easy is way too easy IMO.

And on the PAL boxart for MM2, I can not for the life of me figure out what this is supposed to represent in-game:

That's Dr Wily in his UFO! ...maybe. ;D

Played Zelda 2 Link no Bouken again.
I think the reason why you take more damage in the Japanese version is because that in the NES version there's enemies like the Moby and the Molblins that drain your experience points when you touch them and I guess the damage your life bar takes from these enemies is less. In the Japanese version you just take damage like from any other enemy. Bubbles are the same in both versions though, they damage your magic points more than your life.

XiTaU

Lately ive been hooked on player streemerz and battle kid some of the best homebrew games of all time.
When they havent kicked my ass enough i like to chuck on holy diver and get a real beat down.
POW and TMNT 2 and 3 if i wanna have a casual session.

Nightstar699

Quote from: P on March 16, 2013, 06:16:08 pm

That's Dr Wily in his UFO! ...maybe. ;D

That's what I thought too. I'm actually considering buying PAL copies of Mega Mans 1, 2, and 3 just for the label art. PAL MM2's art is hysterically bad, but 1 and 3 actually looks pretty good, and the drawing of Wily looks remarkably dark and creepy on both of them.

Last Famicom game I beat was Rockman 5, gonna play Rockman 6 now .