Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero107

Just played Galaga. This was the highest score I've been able to achieve, I definitely need to put in some more practice.
I'll probably die surrounded by plastic crap.

Nightstar699

Mickey Mouse III: Yume Fuusen
Wanpaku Kokkun No Gourmet World

Beaten these two today, next up I'll play Little Nemo. Then Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

I celebrated the Famicom's birthday in style today, by playing a new game for the first time. Insector X was a worthy way of celebrating the grand 30th anniversary of the Family Computer. It's a fun little shoot 'em up, even if the difficulty spiked out of nowhere at the end of level 5.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

The Flintstones: Surprise At Dinosaur Peak
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

You have a pirate of that? I've never seen anything about a legit FC release of Dino Peak. Solid game, though. I just wish I'd bought mine three years ago when it was a $150 and not the $550 I paid for it last year. (I had to have the legit US version.)

Nightstar699

Yes sir, I'd love to get the official copy of it, if only it didn't cost a fortune. I actually really wish it received an official Famicom release, because it truly is a great game, although I prefer the first Flintstones game, the sequel improved on quite a few features. My only wish for it was that the flying stage, when the pterodactyl is taking you to Dinosaur Peak, was expanded a bit. It was an extremely short stage with only two types of hazards, and no boss. I would have loved to see a shot powerup there, and have the level be expanded a bit, with a boss battle at the end.

nerdynebraskan

It will disgust you to hear this, but I must confess I haven't played the game past the second or third stage. I've probably spent an hour or less in my lifetime with the game, and probably only about 20 minutes or so with mine since buying it. (It is one of at least four copies here in Lincoln, and I've played two of the others as they're in the hands of fellow collectors that I buy/sell/trade/bullshit around with.) There aren't too many, even on this forum, that can say they've had three different copies of Dino Peak in their console.

Nightstar699

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on July 17, 2013, 11:01:10 am
It will disgust you to hear this, but I must confess I haven't played the game past the second or third stage. I've probably spent an hour or less in my lifetime with the game, and probably only about 20 minutes or so with mine since buying it. (It is one of at least four copies here in Lincoln, and I've played two of the others as they're in the hands of fellow collectors that I buy/sell/trade/bullshit around with.) There aren't too many, even on this forum, that can say they've had three different copies of Dino Peak in their console.

Oh wow, that's pretty awesome. I doubt I'll ever see an original copy of it in real life. I would strongly recommend you give it another shot, it really is one of the best games I've ever played... although I still prefer Flintstones: Rescue of Dino and Hoppy. Play that one too, if you haven't already... but I think you should get into Dinosaur Peak first, it'd be a nice warmup as it's MUCH easier than the first Flintstones game, but it did improve on the original in many aspects. The obvious innovation in Dino Peak is the fact that both Fred and Barney are playable, and their abilities differ greatly. Some of the ways they utilized the character switching feature was very clever, such as the way you have to take advantage of Barney's shorter height to pass under ceiling spikes in the final stage. Dinosaur Peak made Fred's club much easier to use, because not only is it faster, but they also seem to have changed the hitbox on it a bit. Plus they altered Fred's ledge-hanging ability, he's able to pull himself up much faster than in Rescue of Dino and Hoppy.  There is some great gameplay variety in Dinosaur Peak, but I really love the powers you get from Gazoo in the first game. They were both fun and helpful to mess around with, and the animations on them were great. Although the graphics and sound were overall improved in Dinosaur Peak, I've grown really fond of the stages in Dino and Hoppy, especially the last four stages. The Asian-themed level in that game is one of my favorite levels ever, as unfitting as it was. I loved the Sumo Dinosaur boss!

Last game I played was Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2: Karakuri Land before work today.

L___E___T

Last game I played was Toki, JuJu Densetsu.

Nightstar, this is one for you...  One hit kills, precision shooting, varied level setups and challenging action.
Several moments feel like one-time catch you outs, but they don't feel unfair either.

I played the Megadrive one as a boy, but I think this version may actually be better.  Bosses are a lot of fun.
My for Sale / Trade thread
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=9423.msg133828#msg133828
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Ah, that game does appear to be a solid platformer, I'll look into getting a CIB copy of it someday, as it doesn't seem to be super expensive. (Unlike the other games I want) I remember seeing Toki on Nick Arcade, and it does look very fun. Thank you for the recommendation, L___E___T, although Lickle and Metal Storm are my most wanted at the moment.

Nice fire Mario plush too... what is that Famicom game next to him? It almost looks like... a pirate of Donald Land?

L___E___T

Heh, my girlfriend won the Mario plush at a theme park, it's quite big, was embarrassing to carry home a bit.
That is a good eye, that IS a pirate of Donald Land funnily enough, it's a metallic purple shell and chips inside I think, I'll be selling it with that stack on top of my playcase.

Can you guess the cart to the right of JuJu in the Famicom shot?

On JuJu, I only played the first three levels but it's great so far.  Play style reminds me of Gourmet World in that you can breeze through swiftly IF you know what to look out for.  Though I did Gourmet World feels a bit cheap difficulty and has luck involved sometimes, so far this isn't like that, it's just overall rewarding while also being unforgiving.
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。

Nightstar699

Hmm, to the right of JuJu... is it one of the Hello Kitty games, by any chance?
I find Gourmet World to be a pretty easy game with the exception of one jump in the final stage which is quite strict, you have to jump on the absolute last pixel to the edge. But I've gotten the hang of it so I can no-death run it every time. I can no-damage run it too, but sometimes I make a mistake on stage 4 and one of the flying skewers hits me! I look forward to playing JuJu Densetsu, I love games with an emphasis on learning enemy placement and how to deal with each situation. I think Dynamite Batman is a game which emphasizes this style well, but it's actually A LOT more forgiving than some people realize. 

Cheetahmen

Quote from: L___E___T on July 17, 2013, 04:12:02 pmCan you guess the cart to the right of JuJu in the Famicom shot?

Hello Kitty? :P

Anyway, I played Stick Hunter earlier just to see if it's as bad as I thought it was before. Let's just say I'd rather play Wayne Gretzky Hockey on the NES. :bomb:
Life is too short to be little.
Twitter | DeviantArt | Youtube | Twitch

nerdynebraskan

I have the NES version of Toki, and I would second LET's recommendation to nightstar on that game.

L___E___T

By the way, you both win on the Hello Kitty game.  Question is, which is it?
大事なのは、オチに至るまでの積み重ねなのです。