Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

Maybe the problem is the cord used for the mod. It says "High Class Microphone Cord" -- that's for the V mod. Uh.

madman

Nah, the cord is fine.  It's probably just the signal.  My fami is moded with cheap ass cable and looks great.  Just invest in an AV fami and be done with it :)

chiaotzu

Possible problems with my Disk system. I just acquired 3 famicom disk systems the other day. And I have about 5 games for the disk system, I have never used any of these before and I am new to the system. But when I put a game into any of the 3 disk systems I seem to be waiting a very long time for it load the game. What is the usual load time for a game? Is it over 8 minutes? I have a few other Ram carts I could try but I have yet to get an error message, they just seem to load forever and ever. I am running my disk systems with a famicom AV the white top loader model. The Famicom works great and I have played many games on it over the last few days. Please assist. I want to start playing my Super Mario Brothers 2 as soon as possible.
Your not cleared for that.

kite200

ステキ

chiaotzu

It just says it is loading for as long as I am willing to leave it on. How long do they usually take to load a game like mario or zelda?

JC

From my experience, the load time at the beginning isn't more than a minute, and during gameplay isn't more than 30 seconds. I don't know what could be wrong...open 'em up and see if the belts are ok.

chiaotzu

Any recommended sources for a straight forward site for belt replacement? I aquired 3 spare belts just for such an emergency.

kite200

use jfgoods website. you can find his website by going on ebay and searching for belts then clicking the installation guide. it's a pain in the ass btw.
ステキ

madman

http://www.jfgoods.net/disksystem.html

The first couple ones you do will be a pain in the butt, but after that it's super easy.  Just be sure not to lose anything while you are doing it.

chiaotzu

Thanks a lot, if it works I will let you all know. I appreciate it. Doesn't look like fun, but I am used to fixing stuff that is unhappy, but usually I start with some knowledge of normal operation, not broken out of the box sort of situation. Again thanks.

madman

Are you sure the belt is bad? Is it snapped?  Did the FDS drive used to work?

chiaotzu

The belt was bad in the first one I took apart so I think that was the major problem. I don't know for sure they used to work. But now I am getting 21 error. I will look further into some of the past posts for this but I think this is correctable. Thanks everyone for the advice. And yeah getting that belt changed was a pain the butt. It probably wouldn't break as much if someone made a belt made of kevlar or something stronger. I will try changing the belts on my other 2 disk systems in the near future.

madman

Kevlar? ???  There's a reason that almost all belt drive machines use rubber belts instead of another material.

Lupin the Third

Question: What are the best identifiers of a dead Disk?

I can't seem to find a list of any specific codes that are good clues to figuring this out.

Thanks?

madman