Last Famicom game you played?

Started by Doc, July 30, 2006, 12:47:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendoKing

I played my All Night Nippon cartridge, I love this game!
I would love to play the true game one day though, mine is the quality SMB 1 hack version.

Nightstar699

Finally got my NES to Famicom converter to work, so I decided to playthrough Yo! Noid to see if I could spot any differences from Kamen No Ninja Hanamaru. (Other than the obvious graphical and sound changes)

- In Yo! Noid, the final stage stocks you up with a lot more (and better) items than in Kamen No Ninja Hanamaru. So the final boss is easier in Yo! Noid.
- In Yo! Noid, the platforms are placed slightly differently in stage 13, making it a bit easier than the same jumping sequence in Hanamaru.

But another thing I noticed was that due to the sprite changes, the graphics are a lot more deceptive in Yo! Noid, a lot of hitboxes don't match the sprites. So I'd consider Hanamaru to be the better game... plus I like the graphics and music in it better than Noid.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

You should add those comparison notes to the NES/FC differences thread. Is the music different, too? You said something about preferring Kamen's music.

And yeah, the first Wai Wai World isn't a simple run-to-the-right platformer. The first six levels can be accessed in any order, which I first thought of as being like Mega Man. But it turns out there are obstacles in some of those levels that can't be passed with your starting characters and abilities. So, the game is kind of a mix of Mega Man and Metroid in that way. But I like RPG and adventure elements sometimes.

I last played some Youkai Douchuuki. I'm close to adding it to the collection, but I'm not entirely sure yet.
Can Nintendo Age Beat Every NES Game in 2015?

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=140551

Nightstar699

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 27, 2013, 09:30:35 am
You should add those comparison notes to the NES/FC differences thread. Is the music different, too? You said something about preferring Kamen's music.

And yeah, the first Wai Wai World isn't a simple run-to-the-right platformer. The first six levels can be accessed in any order, which I first thought of as being like Mega Man. But it turns out there are obstacles in some of those levels that can't be passed with your starting characters and abilities. So, the game is kind of a mix of Mega Man and Metroid in that way. But I like RPG and adventure elements sometimes.

I last played some Youkai Douchuuki. I'm close to adding it to the collection, but I'm not entirely sure yet.

Yep, a vast majority of the music is entirely different, though you can tell the soundtracks were done by the same people. The music in Hanamaru is more traditional Japanese-sounding, overall. I love that type of music. I shall go through the thread now, to see if these changes were already posted.

Wai Wai World does sound kinda fun, perhaps I should get it sometime. I remember seeing the label art for Youkai Douchuuki and thinking it looked cute, but a quick Google Image search suggests it to be very text-heavy, which might make it hard to play. Is it any good?

Time Zone was the last Famicom game I played.
So ends another chapter in the glorious legend of the Ninja... Until next time...

nerdynebraskan

Youkai Douchuuki does have some shops and such that are pretty confusing when you don't understand Japanese (which I don't). It's an alright game. I haven't decided whether or not it's collection-worthy. It's definitely got an interesting story.

I just played Mad City, and beat it for the first time. It gets pretty easy toward the end, once you pick up the whip. I don't know if or when I'll ever be able to knock out the US Bayou Billy, though. Mad City's second loop gives the enemies about as much health as Bayou Billy. I got to keep the whip I was holding when I beat the first loop, so the first couple of levels were still pretty easy. It was all going fine until I was stupid enough to touch a knife and lose my whip.

Nightstar699

I've never played either version of that game, but I've listened to the stage 1 theme a lot, it sounds pretty sick. I've heard horror stories about how unplayably difficult the U.S. version is, so I think someday I'll to find Mad City.

Last Famicom game I played was Pizza Pop! I died a couple times throughout my playthrough because I decided to test out a few alternate methods/strategies for passing parts of the game.

GohanX

I've been moving so I haven't played too many video games lately. Last night I unpacked the Famicom, hooked it up and played several random games. Feels good, man.

nerdynebraskan

Well, I got a package from St. Jackie today. I didn't have time to play all of the games yet, but I had to play the main attraction of the lot: Choujin Sentai Jetman. I only played it for about 10 minutes on the easy difficulty, but so far I like it.

UglyJoe

Got my Famicom setup in a temporary location in my basement.  Played Lost Word of Jenny for the first time.  Good stuff.

nerdynebraskan

I just played my new FC copy of Rampart. I popped in it to test it, and wound up playing it for well over an hour. Very cool.

Nightstar699

Quote from: nerdynebraskan on May 29, 2013, 07:50:32 pm
Well, I got a package from St. Jackie today. I didn't have time to play all of the games yet, but I had to play the main attraction of the lot: Choujin Sentai Jetman. I only played it for about 10 minutes on the easy difficulty, but so far I like it.

Oh dear lord... alongside Armadillo and Kaiketsu Yanchamaru 2, Choujin Sentai Jetman is one of my major reasons I got into Famicom, that is an exceptional game. I'd highly recommend you play it on the hardest difficulty where you die in one hit, I feel this is the way the game was meant to be played, as some of the enemy placement is very clever, but you usually don't notice it because you can take so much damage before perishing in the other difficulty settings.

I've never played Lost Word of Jenny, but I looked up a gameplay video and it reminds me of GeGeGe No Kitaro in a way.

I myself beat a few games in the past couple hours:

Kaiketsu Yanchamaru - Even though I prefer the sequels, it's nice to go back to the original every now and then. Beat it without using a continue... died a couple times due to elements of randomness in stage 4.

Gekitotsu Yonku Battle - Another Irem title, this is one of my favorite non-platformer games. Great music and the final stage was pretty tough.

Matias

nerdynebraskan

I just played some more Choujin Sentai Jetman. Definitely putting this one in the collection.

Bumped it up to Normal, and the levels are all still easily cleared on the first try. But I'm nowhere near clearing these without getting hit. The bosses, on the other hand, are much more difficult. I managed to beat a couple of them.

Nightstar699

The boss battles are one of the best and most unique aspects of that beautiful, perfect game. I'd recommend you go into Battle Mode and practice the bosses so you can get the hang of the strategies. Knowing how/when to block the opponent's attack waves, when to counter-attack, and how to manage your meter building is essential. I'd recommend letting it build completely before unleashing the level 4 super attack, it does monstrous damage.

Edit: Speaking of Jetman, I just got done playing a similar game by the same company. Tokkyu Shirei Solbrain. Cleared it without dying, and I decided to mix it up and use some of the weaker bots instead of sticking with ABB or BBB like I usually do. I also played Chip N Dale 2 earlier, beat that as well.

fcgamer

Family Bits - Check Progress Below!

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpress.com