Technical and Repair Assistance

Started by b3b0palula, September 10, 2006, 01:08:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakon

Hey I just got my AV famicom in the mail and it works great.  Only one thing that's strange about it.  It doesn't let me play my NES games on it using my NES to famicom adapter.  How come?  Is there a lockout chip inside it or something?  I know the adapter works because I use it fine on my famicom clone.  It's not a huge deal because I bought all the japanese carts of my favourite NES games.  I'm just curious why it won't like my adapter with NES games.

nurd

Try turning the NES cart around.
I dunno.

133MHz

Famicoms have no lockout chip of any kind. And what do you mean it doesn't work? Grey screen?

chiaotzu

Quote from: nurd on March 19, 2008, 06:05:12 pm
I dunno.

Turning around the cart so the label is away from the on switch is how I got mine to work for my AV. Lock out technology wasn't invented at that time, infact all game systems till about the playstation used some sort of hardwiring or game cart shape to try and prevent games from moving across boarders. Me and some friends ran into this same problem when trying to play famicom games on an NES, apparently they are reversed from one another. So as I said and nurd said try turning it around, it should work, if not keep trying after cleaning contacts (rinse repeat)
Your not cleared for that.

Drakon

March 21, 2008, 04:46:08 am #334 Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:00:00 am by Drakon
Quote from: chiaotzu on March 20, 2008, 07:38:18 pm
Quote from: nurd on March 19, 2008, 06:05:12 pm
I dunno.

Turning around the cart so the label is away from the on switch is how I got mine to work for my AV. Lock out technology wasn't invented at that time, infact all game systems till about the playstation used some sort of hardwiring or game cart shape to try and prevent games from moving across boarders. Me and some friends ran into this same problem when trying to play famicom games on an NES, apparently they are reversed from one another. So as I said and nurd said try turning it around, it should work, if not keep trying after cleaning contacts (rinse repeat)

......Did nobody read my post?  I said it works on my clone.  I have to make it face backwards on my clone to get it to work, so of course I make it face that way on my AV famicom.  And lockout technology wasn't invented in 1993?  Then how about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10NES

I wasn't sure if they had a lockout system in the AV famicom of not.  My only guess is that my adapter is designed only to work on clones.

*edit* I got it to work.  I had to insert it into the slot and then pull it back out a little.  Either dirty connector pins or just a poorly designed adapter.

Bibliophile

Hello, everybody.  I am new to this forum.  A friend of mine on another forum told me that a Famicom is safe to use with an NES adapter, and he is pretty knowledgeable about technical matters.  Well, I followed his advice, and I smelled some burning smell coming out of my Famicom.  I am sure something is damaged in it.

My question is what is likely damaged and can it be repaired?

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

2A03

Sounds like a burst capacitor. Look inside the system and see if you notice any fluid that's leaked out of the capacitor.

Also, never use an NES PSU on a Famicom. AC power+DC device=Bad things.

133MHz

Also check the 7805. It may be shorted.

Bibliophile

So it sounds like it is repairable.  Right?  Might just need to replace a capacitor or a diode or other component, but there is hope.  Right?

2A03

Quote from: Bibliophile on April 01, 2008, 05:02:46 pm
So it sounds like it is repairable.  Right?  Might just need to replace a capacitor or a diode or other component, but there is hope.  Right?

Yeah, once I accidentally inserted a power supply of the wrong polarity in my old Twin Famicom. One of the capacitors burst but once I replaced it, it was working again.

JunjiHiroma

I got a Step Up & Down Japan Transformer  it shows:

Where Do I put the AC Adaptor into so then I don't overheat and fry my famicom.

133MHz

JunjiHiroma

NintendoKing

Quote from: JunjiHiroma on April 07, 2008, 11:47:28 am
I got a Step Up & Down Japan Transformer  it shows:

Where Do I put the AC Adaptor into so then I don't overheat and fry my famicom.

Plug into 100v, and set the red dial on the back to 120v.

fflegend05

Hello All,

Recently I bought a black Sharp Twin Famicom System off of Ebay. It came with 4 games including All Night Super Mario Bros with original casing for just over $150.00. The system works great. I just got into collecting for this system and I was able to pick up a lot of 61 disk games with casings. More problem with  the system is I get the "Set Disk B" screen for any game that is dual sided  and when I flip the disk nothing happens. I figure if I wait a little maybe it will load in but still nothing happens. Can anyone help on this? Am I supposed to press some buttons or what. Could it be a problem with the belt? Also not all the games in the lot worked I kept getting Error 22 for most of them. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.